Anxiety is a very real condition that afflicts countless people all over the world. Some people may even think they do not suffer from such a condition until it is time to go in for a dental checkup. Dental anxiety occurs when a person becomes nervous about going to an oral surgeon. The good news is that if you ever feel severe anxiety about visiting Dr. Mulokozi Lugakingira, he can offer you sedation dentistry to help.
Dental Anxiety Is More Common Than You May Think
You are not alone if you have a fear of visiting the dentist. In fact, three out of every four people experience some form of dental anxiety. Symptoms can vary as well:
- Sweaty palms
- Increased heart rate
- Low blood pressure or fainting
This anxiety only gets in the way if it keeps you from relaxing enough for the dental services to be performed. Sedation dentistry may help you to relax enough to get the dental treatment you need.
Many Options With Many Benefits
There are a few different ways that sedation can be administered during an appointment:
- Local anesthetic – administered through a syringe directly to the area being treated. It numbs the area so you feel less pain, and it may be used along with another form of sedation.
- Nitrous oxide – breathe in the nitrous oxide to feel more relaxed during an appointment. You can still drive yourself home afterward.
- Oral – you can take a pill about an hour before your appointment to make you more relaxed. You may need someone to drive you home afterward, and you may not remember the procedure.
- IV. – a sedative administered directly in a vein may help you relax and feel like you have slept during the appointment. This is ideal for patients with more severe anxiety or more complex procedures such as surgery.
Contact Us To Find Out More
Sedation offers patients a way to relax and safely receive the treatment their teeth need. To learn more and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lugakingira, contact our practice in Fort Wayne, IN today.